Monday, May 6, 2013

Perfect Health Diet Weekly Menu - Take One

Ok, so the first week of our PHD was a little....strained.  We still have "off-limits" foods in the house from our latest Costco run that we didn't want to just dump.  We're still using it for the kids' meals.  My grand scheme was to do this as a family, but I think we'll have to transition the kids over a little more slowly.  It's mind games really.  I gave them a paleo "cookie" tonight that consisted mostly of almond flour and mashed banana. They saw the dark chocolate chips in them and were all about it.  Even though the texture was really odd.  And I snuck some flax seeds undetected into their smoothies this morning...and they drank them.  So, we'll get there!

The other issue that caused some tension was my total  lack of meal planning....remember when I wrote that post all about how we were going to set ourselves up for success?   The one that centered on planning?  Yeah.  I didn't do that.  It was a nice week, so I figured we would grill for dinner and made sure there were plenty of veggies in the fridge to go along with whatever we seared.  Nice in theory but still not a very good plan.  I didn't really cook and James and I just sort of came up with whatever was easy.  We felt like we were dieting and missed that comfort and satisfaction of eating a home-cooked meal.

So this weekend, I did.  I planned a Perfect Health Diet friendly dinner menu for the week that will hopefully give us enough leftovers for lunches too.  Here's the line-up:


Monday: Farm-To-Table Stew

I think Kayotic Kitchen actually calls it "Lazy Sunday Casserole" and it is delicious.  It completely hit the spot.  Hearty, wholesome and full of flavor.  I followed the recipe almost to the letter, just adding a splash of red wine along with the balsamic vinegar.
Lazy Sunday Casserole


Tuesday: Better Than Take-out Chicken Fried Rice

This is a recipe I pinned ages ago and have yet to actually attempt. Rachel recommends the Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken in it, which I think I'll try.  The chicken recipe does call for sugar, so I'll have to either come up with a substitute or just omit it altogether.  I'll let you know how it goes!
 better-than-takeout chicken fried rice. homemade! no yucky msg. and its easy


Wednesday: Hamburger Vegetable Soup

I'm anxious to try this Hamburger Vegetable Soup recipe from Money Saving Mom.  The picture totally sold me.



Thursday: Turkey Meatballs & Brussel Sprouts

I've seen a few turkey meatball recipes floating around Pinterest, but think I'll try this one.  I'm thinking maybe almond flour/meal or coconut flour as a binder?  It's the PHD test kitchen here folks....

And I think we'll whip up these sprouts to go with them.  Minus the brown sugar.


Friday: Orange Chicken, Broccoli, & Steamed Rice

This is a favorite of ours and I think it's originally from Allrecipes.com.   It super easy and always tasty.  I'll have to tweak the recipe a bit and will share it with you if I can make it edible and still PHD friendly.


Here's to a better week!



7 comments:

  1. All of these look so yummy! Especially the first one...the lazy sunday casserole! Sounds like you have a great plan now. Its a lot of work but it really is worth it. Maybe folliwing along with you and your posts will inspire me to make some changes. Great job, Deme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, as we're figuring out things that work for us, it's feeling less like work. Definitely worth it so far!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to hear how you like them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so making that casserole. Looks amazing! I am also trying out the PHD so I'm loving your posts about it. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made this using sweet potatoes- deliciously different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohh, that sounds amazing! Definitely trying that!

      Delete

Comments are moderated and may take a moment to appear.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...